Tuesday, April 19, 2011

a temporary mess



The very long-abandoned Blue Plate Fine Foods Building (mayonnaise factory), built in 1941, and on the National Register of Historic Places, will now be transformed into upscale apartments. See the story here. It has seen better days, including a couple of years ago, in its proud state of post-Katrina abandonment. Even the graffiti is uglier now. However, the grass of the compound has been mysteriously mowed for all this time. This will be a very convenient and swanky place to live, early next year.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's going to be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen, Yes, I think it really will be nice. There was a similar project with the American Can Apartments, not too far away. And around here, they make a point of not just using the building, but holding to the identity and some of the physical characteristics. Just the word "loft" sounds like fun to me. thanks, sp

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard they are hoping to house artists - something like Pres Kabacoff's Arts Loft in the Bywater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bigezbear, It sounds like an interesting place to be, but I wonder if that's discriminatory. What about art appreciators? Then I'd qualify. I can't see how that preference could be maintained over a long period of time. Actually, I can't wait to see how it will look next year. thanks, sp

    ReplyDelete